gnupic: Thread: Next Gen Prog Processor

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Next Gen Prog Processor
From: David Willmore ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jan 2004 18:17:46 -0000

Just so that everyone knows what I'm picturing, the processor
that I'm looking at to be in the next gen programmer is the
PIC18F2455.  You'll find it on the 'future devices' list at
Microchip: 00148h4_fut.pdf.  Talking to a rep, I find out that
it's expected to hit normal people like me late Q3/Q4--if
testing and stuff go right.

The part is an 18 series core with 11 A/D channels of 10 bit.
It's got 12K (there are 16K versions) and 28 pins (there are
40 pin versions--both memory sizes).  It also has 2K of RAM--
some large chunk of that, I imagine, is tied up with USB
functionality.  It clocks at 48MHz--12 MIPS.  Woo, hoo, fast
PIC. :)

If the design goes heavy on the firmware, there is the 16K
part to fallback on.  If it goes pin heavy, there is the 40
pin part to fallback on.  So, if we target the 12K/28pin
part, we should be okay.  28pins should be plenty for a
programmer, no?

Cheers,
David