gnupic: Thread: Jal : Pascal like high-level language for PIC ? evaluated

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Jal : Pascal like high-level language for PIC ? evaluated
From: ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2004 13:06:44 -0000
Firstly, many thanks to the poster of:
http://www.picemulator.com/links.html
   which led to:
JAL compiler
         is a free, open-source high-level language for PIC chips.
         It is becomming increasing popular.
 http://www.voti.nl/jal/

 ------------
Digression: Collaborative project have potentially great benefits for all
fair-playing contributors, via the same mechanisms as free-trade.
As there are many persons who don't understand free-trade,
apparently also some don't understand that if I've got
Charlie Brown's tel-no, I should not write to you "phone Charlie Brown",
without including the number - hence saving you [and the team
and ME] perhaps 2 hours searching for the number.  Digression end.
>      members who can answer all kinds of questions (often better than I
>      could) and are interested to read your experiences.

Have any readers tried/tested it yet ?

I'd like to compare the generated code with eg. picforth.

My progress with picforth has unfortunately been halted,
as the originator/owner  won't comply with collaborative project
convention [raison d'etre] of minimising total effort.

The extract below, gives the ideas, in stronger words than I would
choose.

In alt.os.linux Paul Becker ####@####.#### wrote:
> I don't want to mention a name here although this
> guy really pissed me off by not detailing the
> requirements for his program. Oh, he hinted at
> what was required but I had to compile the f'n
> thing 2 dozen times and then track down each error
> and discover on my own which packages were
> required. This a-hole wouldn't even respond to my
> request for help. Here's a quote from his page,
> "You also have to install the devel packages for
> the various libraries used by PROGNAME(removed to
> protect the obtuse individual) (glibc-devel,
> libjpeg-devel, ...)" Nice list of requirements,
> eh? "Various libraries," and "..."! What the hell
> is the big secret? Jesus H! Would it kill this guy
> to paste the requirements into the README or his
> webpage or somewhere? There is NO excuse for that!

> I just shake my head and say, "what an asshole"!

Admittedly, the initiation of the mailing-list and Wiki is a potential
massive production booster to the picforth project - if it reaches
critical mass.

== Chris Glur.

I've never seen any need for jpg libs to build or use JAL.

BTW the version at the nl site is old.  If you want any support use the
sourceforge on, and be sure to not mix and match versions of compiler with
versions of the jal libraries.

--mgross