gnupic: Thread: Re: picp

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: picp
From: Alexandre Pereira Nunes ####@####.####
Date: 10 Sep 2003 18:15:42 -0000

Hi all, I just subscribed.

I've been working on some modifications to picp, mainly to support
pic18fxx2, as pointed out by Antonio TodoBom, which is sponsoring this
effort.

I'm close to declaring some of these changes as stable, Antonio is
already testing most of the work already implemented.

As soon as it shows some results, I'll be posting patches against the
original picp.

To the concerns of forking the project, I don't plan to, since I planned
into making these changes as to add more resources to the original picp,
and both Antonio and I would be glad of the changes would appear on the
original program.

Speaking in terms of programming, I would like to perform several
changes to picp, in order to make it more easy to maintain, and to
ressemble more closely to the traditional command line behaviour and the
source code indentation of most gnu tools, which eventually could be
easier to do by rewriting it almost from scratch, indeed, but currently
I lack the time to do it (and even if I supposedly did not, I don't
think it would necessarily be a fork, since I would prefer to coordinate
with picp authors. They did a great job on reverse engineering the
protocol, and deserve all credit for that).

But back to the subject, here is what is working so far (on pic18f252):

reading program memory, eeprom, id locations, configuration bits;
writing to program memory.

Soon I'll finish preliminary support for writing to configuration bits,
id locations and eeprom (both from the command line and from the hex
files, where applicable). That should take a few days yet. As long as
testing seems ok, the patch will be posted

Thank you all,

Alexandre (AKA Alex).

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 4:51 am, Alexandre Pereira Nunes wrote:
> Hi all, I just subscribed.
>
> I've been working on some modifications to picp, mainly to support
> pic18fxx2, as pointed out by Antonio TodoBom, which is sponsoring this
> effort.
>
> I'm close to declaring some of these changes as stable, Antonio is
> already testing most of the work already implemented.
>
> As soon as it shows some results, I'll be posting patches against the
> original picp.
>
> To the concerns of forking the project, I don't plan to, since I planned
> into making these changes as to add more resources to the original picp,
> and both Antonio and I would be glad of the changes would appear on the
> original program.
>
> Speaking in terms of programming, I would like to perform several
> changes to picp, in order to make it more easy to maintain, and to
> ressemble more closely to the traditional command line behaviour and the
> source code indentation of most gnu tools, which eventually could be
> easier to do by rewriting it almost from scratch, indeed, but currently
> I lack the time to do it (and even if I supposedly did not, I don't
> think it would necessarily be a fork, since I would prefer to coordinate
> with picp authors. They did a great job on reverse engineering the
> protocol, and deserve all credit for that).
>
> But back to the subject, here is what is working so far (on pic18f252):
>
> reading program memory, eeprom, id locations, configuration bits;
> writing to program memory.
>
> Soon I'll finish preliminary support for writing to configuration bits,
> id locations and eeprom (both from the command line and from the hex
> files, where applicable). That should take a few days yet. As long as
> testing seems ok, the patch will be posted
>
> Thank you all,
>
> Alexandre (AKA Alex).

that is awesome.. this means I can start developing for the PIC18 again..

I had started but having to transfer code on to the PC with the Promate
attached was a pain... I downloaded the latest firmware for my PS+ but
haven't been able to use it yet..  I'm stuck on 16f877 with ICD1. :/

Matt