gnupic: Thread: a couple newbie questions

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: a couple newbie questions
From: Joseph Greenawalt <>
Date: 2 Jul 2004 17:26:02 +0100

Hi all,

just getting started here, and thought before i start programming hardware i
could play around with the simulator gpsim.
However i believe i am doing something wrong because every statement I'm
getting an INVALID.  I am using to sample .asm files that seem to assemble
fine.

the command i'm using is:
gpsim -pp16c84 Blink.hex
gpsim -pp16c84 Blink.cod

or when i try to load it i get a:
***ERROR: parse error, expecting `BIT_FLAG'
its probably something simple.
What exactly is a cod file?
This after referring to the manual.

2nd question:
I found a usb programmer that states it has Linux and FreeBSD drivers built
in.  Has anyone ever tried one of these?
USB Powered MPLAB Compatible 8/14/18/28/40 Pin ZIFF+ ICSProgammer
made by olimex.
It can be viewed here:
http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=76401&cat=3&

3rd question:
If the above is a bad idea, any suggestions on where and what to buy?  It
needs to be a parallel one.

Thanks in advance

Joe
> just getting started here, and thought before i start programming hardware i
> could play around with the simulator gpsim.
> However i believe i am doing something wrong because every statement I'm
> getting an INVALID.  I am using to sample .asm files that seem to assemble
> fine.
>
> the command i'm using is:
> gpsim -pp16c84 Blink.hex

That works for me.

> gpsim -pp16c84 Blink.cod

This should be:

gpsim -s Blink.cod

The .cod file is a symbol file. It contains all of the information about
your project (like the processor, the .hex code and where the source files
are located).

You may've captured an intermediate snap shot of the CVS code that wasn't
working. Try updating your cvs image and see if that fixes your problem.

Scott