gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] problems installing piklab

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: RE: [gnupic] problems installing piklab
From: "Chen Xiao Fan" ####@####.####
Date: 21 Feb 2006 00:49:10 +0000

I think you need much more than the 3 files. I do not know how
you build the software and what you have installed for your
Suse 9.2. I think you need  development version of QT and kdelibs
and maybe some more things and they are big. I also guess Suse 9.2
may be a bit old.

> Am I right that the piklab is  the gnu equiv to  mplab? Thanks
> in advance!

I think there is no GNU equivalent to MPLAB yet. piklab/pikdev
are nice IDEs which integrate gputils and support for some
popular programmers. piklab also aims to add the support for
ICD2 debugging for PIC 16F.

> Oh yeah, one last problem here, I  am trying to  download firmware
> into a PIC so I can build an ICD2, but am  having a hard
> time with choosing a programmer to build for the loading of
> the firmware into the PIC16F8xx. The main issue being that
> I have only a  laptop running  right now, and have read that
> the JDM versions do not work  the USB to RS232  converters
> nor the power levels issued from the laptops  serial port even if
> it did have one! Is there any work around for this one, or
> should I be  choosing a different programmer for loading this one
> chip!!?? Help?

Do you have a programmer now? Have you tried it? If you have a
JDM and it does not work with your labtop, try to get help from
a friend who has a desktop. Even though reading is important, I
think it is much more rewarding to try out things. And from
the emails I have a feeeling that you will be better off **buying**
a programmer (eg: Wisp628 or an ICD2 clone or a PICkit 2 or some
others) rather than building your own. It will help you get started
earlier. You do not need to know too much about PIC programmers
before you enter the PIC world.

Regards,
Xiaofan