gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] Connecting an LCD Display to RS232 Interface

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] Connecting an LCD Display to RS232 Interface
From: Greg Hill ####@####.####
Date: 6 Apr 2006 13:37:03 +0100

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Deadly Earnest wrote:

> The place where I work was throwing out some old stuff and I grabbed an
> LCD Display which is connected via a ribbon cable to a smaller PCB. Now
> the smaller PCB has a surface mount PIC 16C62A on it and three wires
> coming off it. I'm assuming that the three wires are a serial interface
> to the LCD, and the PIC does the work of converting to parallel for the
> ribbon cable. To test this theory out I was thinking of connecting up
> the three wires to the serial port of a PC and connecting minicom to it
> and seeing if I can get anything out of it.

an excellent way to collect parts. :-)

It's likely a 5-volt port; connecting it to the PC serial port is likely
to damage it because the PC's port "should" (or at least could) be putting
out as much as +/- 15 volts.  A level converter chip is needed.  A popular
choice is the old Maxim max232 series, but TI and Linear and probably
other companies also make similar-functioning parts.

> I was hoping if I could work out how the LCD unit works to incorporate
> it into a project. There's no markings on the unit that get me anything
> on the internet. I was hoping that I'd get details on it however it
> looks like I'll just have to probe it.

If the whole system you grabbed still operates, it would be possible to
connect a level converter chip from one of the data wires of that serial
interface to the RX wire on your PC's serial port.  Then you could snoop
on the data being sent between the onboard PIC and the LCD and maybe learn
something about the protocol they use.

good luck!

Greg

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Deadly Earnest wrote:
>
>> The place where I work was throwing out some old stuff and I grabbed
>> an LCD Display which is connected via a ribbon cable to a smaller PCB.
>> Now the smaller PCB has a surface mount PIC 16C62A on it and three
>> wires coming off it. I'm assuming that the three wires are a serial
>> interface to the LCD, and the PIC does the work of converting to
>> parallel for the ribbon cable. To test this theory out I was thinking
>> of connecting up the three wires to the serial port of a PC and
>> connecting minicom to it and seeing if I can get anything out of it.
>

> an excellent way to collect parts. :-)
>
> It's likely a 5-volt port; connecting it to the PC serial port is likely
> to damage it because the PC's port "should" (or at least could) be
> putting out as much as +/- 15 volts.  A level converter chip is needed.
> A popular choice is the old Maxim max232 series, but TI and Linear and
> probably other companies also make similar-functioning parts.

It could also be a serial interface to another micro, and in that case
it could be SPI.

Cheers,
Marco

--
Marco Pantaleoni

elastiC language developer
http://www.elasticworld.org
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Marco Pantaleoni wrote:

> It could also be a serial interface to another micro, and in that case
> it could be SPI.

a very good point.  Could be I2C as well.  Maybe the original poster can
find an oscilloscope in order to analyze the signals on those wires
(again, assuming that the original device still functions!) to figure out
the protocol used on those lines.

Greg