gnupic: Thread: Connecting an LCD Display to RS232 Interface

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Connecting an LCD Display to RS232 Interface
From: "Deadly Earnest" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Apr 2006 11:31:17 +0100

Hello all,
    First post on this list so go easy on me. I'm new to this game so
there's bound to be a few bobos.

The place where I work was throwing out some old stuff and I grabbed an LCD
Display which is connected via a ribbon cable to a smaller PCB. Now the
smaller PCB has a surface mount PIC 16C62A on it and three wires coming off
it. I'm assuming that the three wires are a serial interface to the LCD, and
the PIC does the work of converting to parallel for the ribbon cable. To
test this theory out I was thinking of connecting up the three wires to the
serial port of a PC and connecting minicom to it and seeing if I can get
anything out of it.

Does the above make any sense or am I going to blow something up?

I was hoping if I could work out how the LCD unit works to incorporate it
into a project. There's no markings on the unit that get me anything on the
internet. I was hoping that I'd get details on it however it looks like I'll
just have to probe it.

Thanks for any help

John