gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] gplink and .lst files

[<<] [<] Page 2 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] gplink and .lst files
From: Ian Jackson ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2006 12:31:36 +0100

Craig Franklin writes ("Re: [gnupic] gplink and .lst files"):
> gpasm deletes xxx.lst files even if it is not writing one too.

I'm afraid I agree with the people who say this is a bad idea.

> Here is the problem with your scheme:  I compile my project with the
> list file enabled.  Then later suppress the list file output and keep
> building the project.  The list file won't match any of the current
> outputs.  This is confusing at a minimum.

The only reason one might disable the list file output is to preserve
another file of the same name, surely ?  Either an older version, or a
different file (perhaps generated by a different program).

So if you've disabled it then you should precisely be expecting the
file to be old or different !

If this confusion has happened to you, why did you, in that case,
disable the list file output ?  Why not just leave it enabled ?

Ian.