gnupic: Thread: want an sdcc howto?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: want an sdcc howto?
From: David McNab ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jul 2005 01:58:38 +0100

Hi,

My preference for high-level langages puts me at odds with much of this
list's membership, but there are those who feel the same as I do.

The problem with high level languages on PIC micros has been the lack of
a usable, free/opensource implementation.

sdcc has suffered a bad rap because it's very newbie-unfriendly to set
up and get going. Also, its binary packaging has been botched, at least
on Debian.

But with a bit of doco, this problem can go away, to the point where
sdcc's accessibility is on a par with that of the commercial compilers.

I'm willing to write an 'sdcc on PIC Howto', which takes the user step
by easy step through:

  - downloading the source tarball
  - configuring the build
  - building the core toolchain and extras
  - installing the toolchain, libs, headers and support files
  - writing a 'hello, world' LED blinker program in C
  - turning that into a valid and working .hex binary (including
    a fix for the broken crt0 module)
  - setting up and using usart-based stdio (so 'printf()' works)
  - practicalities of C hacking on PIC

Question is - is any interested in actually seeing/using such a
document? I'd rather get some votes of support before launching in and
expending several hours on something that might not be used.

I'd really like to see more interest in sdcc on this list, because it's
the only viable free/opensource high-level language compiler that spans
both 16F and 18F, and deserves a place as the 'reference' high level
language for PIC.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers