gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] best OS for gnupic

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] best OS for gnupic
From: David Willmore ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 2006 17:30:32 +0100

> I'm having trouble getting started. gentoo is causing me mucho frustrations.
> FWIW go to bugs.gentoo.org and have a peek at #132141. Something's broke and
> no-one seems to be able to fix it. It's like this: the new kernel
> 2.6.16zimage is installed and booted to but no modules will load and
> uname -a or
> modprobe -v <some_module> point to the _former_ kernel 2.6.12 !? I showed
> them the evidence but I think they think I'm making it up
>
> Is it something to do with my gcc version 3.4.5?
> an example from dmesg:
> <...>
> May  7 10:55:38 localhost forcedeth: version magic '2.6.12-gentoo-r6 586
> gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.12-gentoo-r6 586 gcc-3.3'
> May
> <...>
>
> I'm ready to chuck it and try something else. Got to get into micros!

I just read the whole bug report and they're doing a very good job of
helping you.  Just take a few moments to follow the advice they are
giving you.  Building your own kernels isn't the easiest thing on the
planet and will take some getting used to--especially the way gentoo
likes to do it.

As a guess--looking at all of the errors--you are rebuilding the old
kernel (2.6.12-gentoo-r6) with the new gcc, but you didn't copy all of
the Symbols or the modules (or didn't rebuild the modules and install)
into the apropriate directories (/boot for the kernel and the symbols
and /lib/modules/$version for the modules).  Now the Gentoo guys can
walk you through how to do that 'the gentoo way' and it looks like they
are being really patient and helpful in resolving this with you.

I'd suggest you just stick to their advice.

Either way, it's way off topic for this group.  I don't know any PICs
that run linux (or even uClinux).

Cheers,
David