gnupic: Thread: Programmer

[<<] [<] Page 3 of 3 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: programmer
From: David Willmore ####@####.####
Date: 8 Feb 2004 22:15:02 -0000

> I'm new to pic programming, I did some pic programming years ago on the school
> and I do not remember much, I'm re-learning...
> So, my problem is that I don't have any hardware anymore... so, I need to
> build a programmer that works with Linux and that is easy to build (even if
> I'm stuck with one model of pic at the begining).
> So, what do you recomend me ?
> Any other recomendation about where to start would be great too.

Welcome!

Yes, I have a very firm recommendation.  Make a THVP design by Byron Jeff:
http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/

I used a 74HC14 in place of the buffer and it works just fine.  Almost
*anything* will work if you keep the cable back to the parallel port
short.  The only slightly tricky/subtle problem is that some parallel
ports set to *some* modes will not work for unresearched reasons.  If
you have trouble getting it running, go into your machines BIOS and
change the parallel port from SPP to ECPP or EPP or back.  Try all of
the settings and one of them will probably work.

I used to use the picprog that Byron has on his page, but I've recently
been completely convinced to switch to using Pikdev: http://pikdev.free.fr/

Depending on how you wire up your socket, you can program a huge number
of modern pics.  It's a parallel port programmer, so it's not ideal,
but it's very good to use to get started--until you decide you need something
better.  Then, come back and, with some luck, we'll have the new 'smart'
programmer done or at least testable. :)

Oh, to answer your other email:
> As you already know, I'm a newbie... trying to learn with on line tutorials...
> using gpasm I've got this Messages:
> test.asm:14:Message [302] Register in operand not in bank 0. Ensure bank bits
> are correct.
> test.asm:15:Message [302] Register in operand not in bank 0. Ensure bank bits
> are correct.
> What do they exactly mean ?
> The lines in question are:
>         movwf   TRISB
>         movwf   TRISA

The assembler is just telling you that the register that you are accessing
is not in the first 'bank' of registers.  Registers 0x00-0x7f are bank 0,
0x80-0xff are bank 1, 0x100-0x17f are bank 2, and 0x180-0x1ff are bank3.
But, they're all refered to as register 0x00-0x7f in the actual instructions--
like movwf.  The 'bank' is determined by bits in the STATUS register: RP0
and (maybe, if your chip has it) RP1.  Since the assembler doesn't (can't)
really track the status of these bits, it is just being kind and letting
you know that you need to have made sure that you set those bits right
before accessing a register in a bank other than bank 0.

So, in short, they're warnings that you can ignore if you know what you're
doing with selecting the correct register bank.  Check out the STATUS
register description in the datasheet for the chip you're using and also
check out the BANKSEL command in the documentation for the assembler.

Good luck!

Cheers,
David