gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] can't 'make' picprg

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] can't 'make' picprg
From: Rob Pearce ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jul 2006 23:30:10 +0100

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 22:06, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> I decided to put aside the serial programmer and try the parallel type at
>
> www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/

I'm not familiar with that, but I'll look and see how similar it is to all the
ones I know :)

> Is there a fix? Does Jeff's programmer work with other software?

It probably would if that other software were configured right. If it looks
likely to be compatible with my code I'll put a tarball up somewhere. I think
the only external package I rely on is GTK, and there's still a very crude
command line if you don't want that.

BDT-picprog is, as yet, the only lump of code I've tried to auto-make-ify from
scratch. So far it's proved very reliable for me, and a friend even managed
to build a version to run on a Windows box! (minus GUI)
From: Manuel Bessler ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2006 01:50:01 +0100

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:06:01PM -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:

> Is there a fix? Does Jeff's programmer work with other software?

I'm using it with pkp (pikdev's commandline programmer tool).

Here's my .pkprc:
=============>8================
port=/dev/parport0
type=parallel
vpp=-4
vdd=6
clock=3
datao=2
datai=10
============>8================

Manuel
From: Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2006 03:47:25 +0100

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:06:01PM -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I decided to put aside the serial programmer and try the parallel type at
>
> www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/

Well I still have customers.

> But I couldn't configure the software, picprg2.3d,  which Byron Jeff links
> to on his site.

You could have posted to my forum linked off the main page. I actually do read
and respond to it.

> It fails right away:
>
> ####@####.#### make
> cc -I/lib/libncurses -O2 -Wall -pipe -g   -c -o picprg.o picprg.c
> In file included from picprg.c:73:
> picprg.h:7:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from picprg.c:73:
> picprg.h:68: error: syntax error before '*' token
> picprg.h:69: error: syntax error before '*' token
> <...>
>
> Here's the top of the Makefile. I changed the include line to reflect the
> only place ncurses appears on my machine. I'm using ubuntu breezy with
> 2.6.12 kernel

The error message points to the problem. picprg uses the curses terminal
library to do its job. You don't have it installed. A quick apt-cache
search points to packages that may do the job:

libncurses5 - Shared libraries for terminal handling
libncurses5-dev - Developer's libraries and docs for ncurses

Try apt-get on one of these and try again.

I apologize for not having a configure script. Truth be told I'm close to
declaring picprg obsolete and suggesting that folks use actively maintained
software such pikdev: http://pikdev.free.fr
Alian has done a phenominal job of working on this package and he has a
command line programmer pkp, which satisfies all of my needs.

Finally I do have an updated picprg version 3.01alpha which programs quite
a few more chips. However Microchip continual addition of programming
algorithms is the reason I'm considering retiring picprg.

Let me know if you're interested.

Makefile snipped for brevity.

BAJ
From: Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2006 03:55:53 +0100

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:28:00PM +0100, Rob Pearce wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 22:06, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> > I decided to put aside the serial programmer and try the parallel type at
> >
> > www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/
> >

> I'm not familiar with that, but I'll look and see how similar it is to all the
> ones I know :)

My Trivial programmer is a parallel cable that uses a 74HCT573 (or similar
HCT part) for level transistions between the 3.3V that modern parallel ports
output and the 5V that most PICs require for proper programming.

> > Is there a fix? Does Jeff's programmer work with other software?
> >
> It probably would if that other software were configured right.

True. It's really just a Tait style parallel port programmer. Anything software
that allows for parallel port pin/polarity configuration will most likely
drive it properly. I've had reports of pikdev/pkp and winpicprog both driving
it fine. It's one reason I haven't really stayed on top of the programming
software game.

The other is outlined on my page. I'm a firm believer in bootloader based
development. The Trivial programmers are really designed to be bootloader
code dumpers, not traditional PIC programmers. While it does somewhat limit
my choices, as the part must be self programmable, I haven't run into any
real obstacles so far.

> If it looks
> likely to be compatible with my code I'll put a tarball up somewhere. I think
> the only external package I rely on is GTK, and there's still a very crude
> command line if you don't want that.

What chips can your code program? The real hassle of PIC programming software
is keeping track of programming algorithms.

> BDT-picprog is, as yet, the only lump of code I've tried to auto-make-ify from
> scratch. So far it's proved very reliable for me, and a friend even managed
> to build a version to run on a Windows box! (minus GUI)

Cool! Now since there is a GTK+ for windows, shouldn't the GUI be a reasonable
target? I of course like the duality of a CLI and a GUI interface so I can
choose what's appropriate for the particular situation. Pikdev/pkp fill that
need quite nicely. It's looking like your code may too.

BAJ
From: Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2006 03:57:47 +0100

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 02:55:40AM +0200, Manuel Bessler wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:06:01PM -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> >
> > Is there a fix? Does Jeff's programmer work with other software?
>
> I'm using it with pkp (pikdev's commandline programmer tool).

Cool! Mind if I post your .pkprc to my site?

BAJ

From: Manuel Bessler ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2006 11:49:46 +0100

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:56:19 -0400 Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 02:55:40AM +0200, Manuel Bessler wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:06:01PM -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a fix? Does Jeff's programmer work with other software?
> >
> > I'm using it with pkp (pikdev's commandline programmer tool).
>
> Cool! Mind if I post your .pkprc to my site?

Go ahead. :)

BTW: I've also done a layout in eagle which I've been meaning to upload
to my site and announce here...
I can put it up tonight or tomorrow if people are interested.

> > Here's my .pkprc:
> > =============>8================
> > port=/dev/parport0
> > type=parallel
> > vpp=-4
> > vdd=6
> > clock=3
> > datao=2
> > datai=10
> > ============>8================

Manuel
From: Manuel Bessler ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2006 23:30:03 +0100

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 12:50:11PM +0200, Manuel Bessler wrote:
> BTW: I've also done a layout in eagle which I've been meaning to upload
> to my site and announce here...
> I can put it up tonight or tomorrow if people are interested.

OK, I've uploaded it. You can find it here:
http://projects.varxec.net/thvp

Manuel
From: Rob Pearce ####@####.####
Date: 21 Jul 2006 23:30:12 +0100

On Thursday 20 July 2006 03:55, Byron A Jeff wrote:
> What chips can your code program?

All the ones I've needed to so far :)

Currently 10F2xx, 12C5xx, 16C6x, 16C7x, 16F62x(A), 16F87x

I've not done anything with 16 bit (18F) types, hence no support for them yet.

> The real hassle of PIC programming
> software is keeping track of programming algorithms.

Tell me about it! And the subtle differences that aren't explicitly stated
anywhere in the documentation.
From: "Maxim Wexler" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2006 23:05:58 +0100