gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] Interfacing with linux over rs-232

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] Interfacing with linux over rs-232
From: "Mark Rages" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2006 22:15:57 +0100

On 7/25/06, Iain Duncan ####@####.#### wrote:
> Wondering if anyone can point me to any decent tutorials or examples,
> especially with 18fs. Specifically I'm not sure what to do on the PC end
> for debugging as all the examples I'm finding use windows apps or
> hyperterminal.
>
> Thanks
> iain

I usually use PySerial (pyserial.sourceforge.net) for serial
interfacing software.  It's really easy to write a program to talk to
the serial port.  I'll post an example if you'd like.

For simple debugging you can find a terminal emulator or just read and
write the serial port device file:  Open two xterms.  In one xterm,
run "cat < /dev/ttyS0" and in the other run "cat > /dev/ttyS0".  The
first terminal will show serial output, and the second one will take
input from the keyboard and send it to the serial port.  Default speed
is 9600 baud on the computers I've worked with.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
  - fortune cookie
> I usually use PySerial (pyserial.sourceforge.net) for serial
> interfacing software.  It's really easy to write a program to talk to
> the serial port.  I'll post an example if you'd like.
>
> For simple debugging you can find a terminal emulator or just read and
> write the serial port device file:  Open two xterms.  In one xterm,
> run "cat < /dev/ttyS0" and in the other run "cat > /dev/ttyS0".  The
> first terminal will show serial output, and the second one will take
> input from the keyboard and send it to the serial port.  Default speed
> is 9600 baud on the computers I've worked with.

Thanks Mark, I'd love to see an example.

Iain
This sounds more convoluted than need be. The typical Linux comes
with minicom. It is less than glamorous but rock solid. For X windows
you can get the source code for seyon and build locally. Both programs
support terminal configuration and various data transfer functions.

George

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 22:47 -0700, Iain Duncan wrote:

> > I usually use PySerial (pyserial.sourceforge.net) for serial
> > interfacing software.  It's really easy to write a program to talk to
> > the serial port.  I'll post an example if you'd like.
> >
> > For simple debugging you can find a terminal emulator or just read and
> > write the serial port device file:  Open two xterms.  In one xterm,
> > run "cat < /dev/ttyS0" and in the other run "cat > /dev/ttyS0".  The
> > first terminal will show serial output, and the second one will take
> > input from the keyboard and send it to the serial port.  Default speed
> > is 9600 baud on the computers I've worked with.
>
> Thanks Mark, I'd love to see an example.
>
> Iain

> This sounds more convoluted than need be. The typical Linux comes
> with minicom. It is less than glamorous but rock solid. For X windows
> you can get the source code for seyon and build locally. Both programs
> support terminal configuration and various data transfer functions.

What about kermit?

   http://www.kermit-project.org

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: ####@####.####

> This sounds more convoluted than need be. The typical Linux comes
> with minicom. It is less than glamorous but rock solid. For X windows
> you can get the source code for seyon and build locally. Both programs
> support terminal configuration and various data transfer functions.
>
> George

How should this be configured for experimenting with serial pic
communication?

Thanks
Iain