gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] What after flashing a pic?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] What after flashing a pic?
From: Pierre GAUFILLET ####@####.####
Date: 13 Sep 2006 19:06:44 +0100

Hi Antonia,

####@####.#### a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I'm now able to load bootcode to my pic18f4550 (from windows).
You have problems using odyssey ?
> My question now is how should I proceed if I want to upload code?
>
> For example, let's say I'd like to use this circuit as a testing one:
>
> http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano/CUI/
>
> As I'd like to be able to do it via usb, should I need to develop a driver for this to work on my linux system? I say this cose lsusb, does never recognize my pic or the circuit being connected to a usb port, so I don't know where to go next nor how.

Your PIC needs to be flashed with a USB driver to be recognized (End
Point 0 requests are processed by software) by Linux kernel.
This is exactly what you can do with puf + docker. Did you try ?

Pierre

From: ####@####.####
Date: 13 Sep 2006 22:11:21 +0100

Hello pierre,

No I didn't try out your project because of being too complex for me. I used instead Byron's Jeff programmer, though as soon as I start gettin into this I want to dig into your project more in deep.

The bootfile I've flashed into the pic is the file I exported as hex from mplab's project USB_Bootloader_Setup.EXE, and now I'm trying to make something like this work from linux:

http://pic18fusb.online.fr/wiki/images/Boot/USB-Bootload.gif

So I can start doing things like blinking leds and the like, and at least have some first experience about the whole process "the simplier way".

However I'd first like to be able to use libusb to connect to the pic, and for example retrieve some info.  As far as I've been reading, whether I want the kernel to recognize the pic it's bootcode needs to be assigned vendor and product's id. I've seen these within the known ids.

What I don't know if is the usb driver your refer is already present on my pic (due to the bootfile I loaded it with) or if it should be an application flashed on top of the boot-code, can you be a bit more explicit on this or to point me somewhere I can get more info on the subject?

I've been looking at fsusb's code, though I'm lost in where software desing meets hardware. Could I reuse your usb driver freely in case I already haven't got it? or it is dependent of an specific hardware configuration?

Kind Regards,

From: "Xiaofan Chen" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Sep 2006 23:54:31 +0100

On 9/13/06, ####@####.#### ####@####.#### wrote:

> The bootfile I've flashed into the pic is the file I exported as hex
> from mplab's project USB_Bootloader_Setup.EXE, and now
> I'm trying to make something like this work from linux:
>
> http://pic18fusb.online.fr/wiki/images/Boot/USB-Bootload.gif

Try this:
http://pic18fusb.online.fr/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=Links

2) PICDEM FS USB bootloader for Linux/Windows
http://www.internetking.org/fsusb/
http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=106426

Regards,
Xiaofan
From: Pierre GAUFILLET ####@####.####
Date: 17 Sep 2006 21:59:15 +0100

Hi Antonia,

####@####.#### a écrit :
> Hello pierre,
>
> No I didn't try out your project because of being too complex for me. I used instead Byron's Jeff programmer, though as soon as I start gettin into this I want to dig into your project more in deep.

Could you explain what stopped you ? Reports are interesting to improve
"user friendliness" :-)
> The bootfile I've flashed into the pic is the file I exported as hex from mplab's project USB_Bootloader_Setup.EXE, and now I'm trying to make something like this work from linux:
>
> http://pic18fusb.online.fr/wiki/images/Boot/USB-Bootload.gif

ok
> So I can start doing things like blinking leds and the like, and at least have some first experience about the whole process "the simplier way".

> However I'd first like to be able to use libusb to connect to the pic, and for example retrieve some info.  As far as I've been reading, whether I want the kernel to recognize the pic it's bootcode needs to be assigned vendor and product's id. I've seen these within the known ids.

yeah
> What I don't know if is the usb driver your refer is already present on my pic (due to the bootfile I loaded it with) or if it should be an application flashed on top of the boot-code, can you be a bit more explicit on this or to point me somewhere I can get more info on the subject?

A USB bootloader does not have any sens if it does not manage USB
connections... So I think you do not need an application code basically.
If you are not sure about that point regarding your bootloader (unclear
specification for example), you should have a look to its source code.
Somewhere, you should find a routine processing the GET_DESCRIPTOR USB
request.
> I've been looking at fsusb's code, though I'm lost in where software desing meets hardware. Could I reuse your usb driver freely in case I already haven't got it? or it is dependent of an specific hardware configuration?

Of course you can. Puf is under a LGPL.
As long as you respect this licence (roughly you have to release your
puf changes source code when you release the corresponding binary code,
and it has no impact on your application : you can release your source
code or not), you can use it.
You could also have a look to
http://cluster.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~kuhnen/pic/usbtest/
<http://cluster.physik.uni-freiburg.de/%7Ekuhnen/pic/usbtest/> . It is a
simple USB test application derived from puf.
The USB test board you are using is very similar to ours (schema
available on our site). You probably only have to do minor configuration
stuff (PIC configuration : I use a 4MHz crystal, and you are using a
20MHz. An other option is to replace your 20MHz quartz by a 4Mhz. PUF
should runs out of the box, then). Note that RA0 is used to flash a led
when the pic boots.

Pierre

From: "Xiaofan Chen" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2006 01:07:57 +0100

On 9/17/06, Pierre GAUFILLET ####@####.#### wrote:
> You could also have a look to
> http://cluster.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~kuhnen/pic/usbtest/
> <http://cluster.physik.uni-freiburg.de/%7Ekuhnen/pic/usbtest/> . It is a
> simple USB test application derived from puf.

The following link to the code is dead. Maybe you want to check it.
http://cluster.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~kuhnen/pic/usbtest/usbtest.tar.gz
Date: 18 Sep 2006 13:50:50 +0100

Yes it is,

I'll try to look for author's contact details within his source code.

Best Regards,