gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] gpsim

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] gpsim
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2006 18:17:14 +0100

polly wrote:
> Hello,
>   I'm trying to run gpsim on a simple cod file output from
> SDCC on a pic18f252. I'm seeing inconsistent effects:
>
>  From the command line the .cod file sometimes loads, sometimes
> does not. From the gpsim prompt, attempting to load the .cod file
> results in an immediate segfault.

Could you show us the command you used?

> On the few occasions the code succeeds in loading, the effect
> of breakpoints seems entirely arbitrary: the PC stops at points
> where no breakpoint is set, other breakpoints are ignored, stepping
> after a breakpoint works or doesn't, depending.

Are you sure that the .cod file and the source are from the same build?
Are you experiencing WDT timeouts?

>                                     There's a console message
> about 'HLL not supported yet' ?? Should I be able to step through a simple
> C app built on SDCC ?

I removed support for HLL debugging because it is broken. This feature
is not currently supported in gpsim.

> The RAM view of eg T0CON registers seems unaffected by instructions setting
> and clearing bits in the registers. Are internal regs in 18F252 simulated ?

What does the trace show? Could it be that your bank registers are
pointing to the wrong place?

> I cannot get rid of console messages assuring me that symbols are not
> supported
> in the font style chosen, I think I've tried every font setting offered.
> Is this affecting whether or not the code module is loaded ? Where can
> I find hints about Locale problems ?

This is an issue with parts of the gui still using older GTK APIs. I've
fixed the source browser and the register window, but not the symbol viewer.

>   I have been running the CVS version of gpsim but I'm not able to get an
> SVN update;  "SSL not supported" .. browsing on the web suggests I have to
> build not only SVN but some app called Neon ?  Where can I find
> instructions
> for getting SVN running ?

I'd start off with google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=subversion&btnG=Google+Search

The first link is to:

http://subversion.tigris.org/

Which has everything you need.

Also, you can find gpsim-specific subversion notes here:
http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=2341

> Can anyone offer clues for building the pty code needed in order for
> the  USART
> funtions to be available on systems other than BSD .. like core 4 ? I
> promise
> to share ......

Robert pointed this out to me the other day. I didn't know this was
still around. If you only need USART functionality, then you can use the
built in gpsim usart module. This module lacks the capability of
communicating with the kernel.

Scott