gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] picprg3.01 initialize problem

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] picprg3.01 initialize problem
From: Robert Pearce ####@####.####
Date: 13 Apr 2007 23:53:10 +0100

Hi Maxim,

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:02:29 -0600 you wrote:

> On a fresh Gentoo 2.6.19-r5 box picprg3.01 fails to open with the error:
> failed to initialize /dev/lp0. There was no /dev/lp0, so I made one with
> mknod.

You shouldn't really use mknod on a recent Linux system, because udev ought to look after it all for you. What you probably want is for /dev/lp0 to be a symbolic link to /dev/parport0. This can be arranged by suitable fettling of the udev config (though I confess I find it harder than devfs used to be).

> Anybody suggest a way forward?

It's probably worth a check of the permissions. The udev config keeps getting updated to change device ownership, particularly the group. That's certainly annoyed me on the serial ports (now all owned by group "uucp" rather than group "tty").
From: "Maxim Wexler" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Apr 2007 01:39:29 +0100

> You shouldn't really use mknod on a recent Linux system, because udev
> ought to look after it all for you. What you probably want is for /dev/lp0
> to be a symbolic link to /dev/parport0. This can be arranged by suitable
> fettling of the udev config (though I confess I find it harder than devfs
> used to be).

yup,

#ln -s /dev/parport /dev/lp0

Seemed to do the trick. No "fettling" required ;)

Thanks Robert!
From: Robert Pearce ####@####.####
Date: 14 Apr 2007 08:55:24 +0100

Hi Maxim,

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:38:54 -0600 you wrote:
> yup,
>
> #ln -s /dev/parport /dev/lp0
>
> Seemed to do the trick. No "fettling" required ;)

Great!

You may find that this link disappears over a shutdown, since /dev is a temporary file system. The reason for fettling udev configs would be to make it re-create the link on boot.

Cheers,
Rob