gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....
From: "David Barnett" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jun 2007 18:39:32 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Dagenais" ####@####.####
To: ####@####.####
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:17 PM
Subject: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....

> Hi folks, I am trying to develop for pic16f series parts under linux
> because I have recently discovered that MPLAB under windows has been
> playing games with my firwall and shutting down my connection everytime I
> try to kill its transmissions back to 'home-base'.
That's a strange reason.  I don't think MPLAB does anything unusual in that
regard.  Anyway, welcome to the community.

> I have pikdev and gputils installed, and have playued around a little with
> it just to see if it is spitting out identical hex- it is of course so
> thats cool. One things that I am missing is the simulator, which I found
> to be a large asset under MPLAB-- I recall seeing that there was a linux
> based sim but cannot seem to locate it anymore- this was a few years ago I
> believe.... Can anyone point the way to the sim?
It's called gpsim.  It's been pretty actively maintained since then, with a
bit of a lull lately from the maintainer being flat-out busy.  He's in the
process of making some big improvements, and I think he's still planning to
pick it up again in the near future.

> will it integrate with pikdev IDE or am I stuck with console op?
I haven't used pikdev myself, but I think I've heard there's native gpsim
integration.  Either way, you're not stuck with a console program because
gpsim has a built-in GUI front-end.  Still, I kinda like the console
operation when I can get by with it.

> Also, does anyone know how much modifications one would typically expect
> to make when attempting to compile C code written for the old C2C
> compiler?
That depends what C compiler you move to.  The BoostC compiler from
Sourceboost is supposed to be the most compatible with C2C code, but it's
not free and I don't think they've released a linux version yet (there has
been discussion on their forum).  Beyond that, I can't say how difficult the
move will be for your C code, but there are times when it's quite painful
finding out what your new C compiler or assembler doesn't support.

HTH.
David Barnett

From: Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jun 2007 21:06:39 +0100

On Wed June 13 2007 10:35, David Barnett wrote:
> [...]
I seriously doubt that MPLAB does anything like that, but I know for certain
that Windows does. It's one of many reasons why I don't use Windows.

Jeff

From: "Nestor A. Marchesini" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jun 2007 21:56:28 +0100

I confirm those that Jay said.
Exactly I stopped using MPLAB because was receiving warnings of the
firewall every moment and is that they are the .chm of the help those
who want to connect, if one erases them the problem finishes, but then
one remains without the help ...
Notice that on having wanted to install MPLAB with wine has to install
IE. yes IE!
Here with linux and the tools gnupic am much better and there are no
secrets.

Regards

Néstor A. Marchesini
Chajari-Entre Rios-Argentina
ICQ # 50983752 colo
MSN ####@####.####
http://www.deselectronica.com.ar

From: Jay Dagenais ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jun 2007 22:02:59 +0100

 thanks for the replies! yeah windows sucks too, but I have run both OS's for few years now and under windows have had no real problems of this specific nature untill I fire up MPLAB. The offending routine is part of svchost, which I understand is an integral part of windows operations but also is prone to hijacking-- which is what I believe the case to be in this instance--I cannot see what else it would be at the moment. Again, this only happens when MPLAB uses the svchost to do ???- if I allow the routine to run I'm fine but not knowing what the purpose or results are,, when I deny I get instantly cut. In the past I have always denied the svchost from accessing the internet due to it being a popular target for malicious apps,, but have never had the connection broken as a result.....until now. Its pissin' me off cause I cannot work with MPLAB unless I want to reboot to re-establish the connection (I often times need both the IDE and my connection, so no good now!) I just finished downloading piklab, and am going to give it a go as well as some other tools I downloaded-- will also try the sim out! I like the whole linux principal but in real life I always find myself falling back onto windows apps due to familiarity, gotta get out of that trend. Thanks again, thanks for the welcome also, although I have been a member of this list for at least a year or so now, and I think have posted previously a few times too......thanks tho!! regards, jd> From: ####@####.#### To: ####@####.#### Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:07:28 -0700> Subject: Re: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....> > On Wed June 13 2007 10:35, David Barnett wrote:> > ----- Original Message -----> > From: "Jay Dagenais" ####@####.#### > To: ####@####.#### > Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:17 PM> > Subject: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....> >> > > Hi folks, I am trying to develop for pic16f series parts under linux> > > because I have recently discovered that MPLAB under windows has been> > > playing games with my firwall and shutting down my connection everytime I> > > try to kill its transmissions back to 'home-base'.> >> > That's a strange reason.  I don't think MPLAB does anything unusual in that> > regard.  Anyway, welcome to the community.> >> I seriously doubt that MPLAB does anything like that, but I know for certain > that Windows does. It's one of many reasons why I don't use Windows.> > Jeff> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------> To unsubscribe, e-mail: ####@####.#### For additional commands, e-mail: ####@####.####
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx
From: Jay Dagenais ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jun 2007 22:06:44 +0100

 Thanks Nestor! at least I don't feel like a lonely paranoid now!; {        regards, jd> Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:11:28 -0300> From: ####@####.#### To: ####@####.#### Subject: Re: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....> > I confirm those that Jay said.> Exactly I stopped using MPLAB because was receiving warnings of the > firewall every moment and is that they are the .chm of the help those > who want to connect, if one erases them the problem finishes, but then > one remains without the help ...> Notice that on having wanted to install MPLAB with wine has to install > IE. yes IE!> Here with linux and the tools gnupic am much better and there are no > secrets.> > Regards> > Néstor A. Marchesini> Chajari-Entre Rios-Argentina> ICQ # 50983752 colo> MSN ####@####.#### ####@####.#### ####@####.#### http://www.deselectronica.com.ar> > Jeff escribió:> > On Wed June 13 2007 10:35, David Barnett wrote:> >   > >> ----- Original Message -----> >> From: "Jay Dagenais" ####@####.#### >> To: ####@####.#### >> Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:17 PM> >> Subject: [gnupic] linux dev tools question....> >>> >>     > >>> Hi folks, I am trying to develop for pic16f series parts under linux> >>> because I have recently discovered that MPLAB under windows has been> >>> playing games with my firwall and shutting down my connection everytime I> >>> try to kill its transmissions back to 'home-base'.> >>>       > >> That's a strange reason.  I don't think MPLAB does anything unusual in that> >> regard.  Anyway, welcome to the community.> >>> >>     > > I seriously doubt that MPLAB does anything like that, but I know for certain > > that Windows does. It's one of many reasons why I don't use Windows.> >> > Jeff