gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] gputils development

[<<] [<] Page 2 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] gputils development
From: "David Barnett" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 2008 20:15:27 -0000

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 4:18 AM, Vaclav Peroutka ####@####.#### wrote:

> > gpsim is ok.
> Yes, ok. I don't use gpsim too much. Maybe somebody can clarify - can I
> simulate the code written in C-language compiled with SDCC ?

Last I heard, you can't step through C lines. That's why gpsim always prints
"FIXME: HLL files are not supported at the moment" on the terminal.

BTW Xiaofan, I think gputils could help with some problems that seem like
they're SDCC-only. For instance, a lot of people hesitate to use C because
of the code bloat, and SDCC doesn't do a ton of optimization compared to the
alternatives, but some link-time optimizations could really cut down on the
bloat.

David
> BTW Xiaofan, I think gputils could help with some problems that seem like
> they're SDCC-only. For instance, a lot of people hesitate to use C because
> of the code bloat, and SDCC doesn't do a ton of optimization compared to the
> alternatives, but some link-time optimizations could really cut down on the
> bloat.

That is a good idea. But IMHO Microchip has other ideas about
this topic. They are working on LLVM port. In fact, LLVM 2.4
has experimental PIC16 ports.
http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html

Check out LLVM mailing lists and you will know that several
Microchip employees are working on the PIC16 port.

Xiaofan