gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] Fwd: Patches for gputils-0.13.4

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] Fwd: Patches for gputils-0.13.4
From: "Xiaofan Chen" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jul 2007 16:54:05 +0100

On 7/11/07, Scott Dattalo ####@####.#### wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Thanks for adding support for Microchip's new Coff format. I'm sorry that
> Craig hasn't responded to your messages. I've been unresponsive lately
> too. (And in the next few days I'll not have access to a computer).
> However, I don't want this patch to get lost. I haven't had a chance to
> look at, but I'm forwarding it to the gnupic mailing list so that perhaps
> someone else can.
>
> Scott

> Subject: Patches for gputils-0.13.4
> From:    "Andreas Kabel" ####@####.####
> Date:    Tue, July 10, 2007 10:59 pm
> To:      ####@####.####
>
> Hi Scott -- is this project (gputils) still being maintained? I have
> tried to
> contact Craig Franklin some in the past, but never received a response.
> Anyway, I have a set of patches for gplink/gpasm which allow for support
> of Microchip's new Coff format; perhaps this is something which should
> go in any new release of the gputils.
>
> Andreas

Andreas:

Another COFF patch has already been accepted into the CVS code.
Last time I tested and it was ok. Not so sure if this new patch is necessary
or not. Maybe you can test the latest CVS version and see if it has already
fixed the issue.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1498595&group_id=41924&atid=431667

CVS Changelog:
2007-06-25 David Barnett ####@####.####
   17   * [gputils] Patch by Michael Ballbach to add support for new COFF format
>> Anyway, I have a set of patches for gplink/gpasm which allow for support
>> of Microchip's new Coff format; perhaps this is something which should
>> go in any new release of the gputils.
>>
>> Andreas
>
> Andreas:
>
> Another COFF patch has already been accepted into the CVS code.
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1498595&group_id=41924&atid=431667

Andreas,

Xiaofan is correct. I applied that patch a week or two ago. However, that
patch only affects gpvo, not gpasm or (IIRC) gplink. I will definitely apply
your patch or something like it sooner or later, but since I'm rather new to
this and you know more about the necessary changes, you might consider
comparing the patches and merging the changes into one patch (against the
latest CVS version, which already has the other patch applied). It may just
involve removing the gpvo-related changes from your patch, but I suspect
there's a little more to it than that. I'll still be reviewing the changes
before I apply them, so whether or not you merge the changes, you could
directly email me any notes or related background info if you want (call it
a favor).

About the next release, I'm in the middle of some messy changes involving
#defines and macro parameters, but I might go ahead and release 0.13.5 soon
and save those changes for another release. Several important changes have
been made since the last release, and that was almost a year ago besides. I
believe many gputils users don't check the CVS repository and would
appreciate a new release.

I copied you directly this time since I'm not sure if you're checking the
gnupic list, but I'd recommend subscribing to it ####@####.#### if
you haven't. I can forward you Xiaofan's message if you missed it.

David Barnett

>>> Anyway, I have a set of patches for gplink/gpasm which allow for support
>>> of Microchip's new Coff format; perhaps this is something which should
>>> go in any new release of the gputils.
>>>
>>> Andreas
>>
>> Andreas:
>>
>> Another COFF patch has already been accepted into the CVS code.
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1498595&group_id=41924&atid=431667

> Andreas,
>
> Xiaofan is correct. I applied that patch a week or two ago. However,
> that patch only affects gpvo, not gpasm or (IIRC) gplink. I will
> definitely apply your patch or something like it sooner or later, but
> since I'm rather new to this and you know more about the necessary
> changes, you might consider comparing the patches and merging the
> changes into one patch (against the latest CVS version, which already
> has the other patch applied). It may just involve removing the
> gpvo-related changes from your patch, but I suspect there's a little
> more to it than that.

Hi David -- yes, my changes involve the complete toolchain, i.e.,
gpasm can generate either new or old format COFF (with an additional
command-line option) and gplink and gpvo can both handle new and old
format COFFs (and mixes thereof). I'd be happy to reconcile your patches
and mine into a single one. I recently noticed, however, that all
COFF-related stuff is platform-dependent, as it assumes that sizeof(long
int)==4 and sizeof(short)==2, which is not necessarily true. It might
make sense to rework the patch to take care of this issue.

> I'll still be reviewing the changes before I apply
> them, so whether or not you merge the changes, you could directly email
> me any notes or related background info if you want (call it a favor).
>
> About the next release, I'm in the middle of some messy changes
> involving #defines and macro parameters, but I might go ahead and
> release 0.13.5 soon and save those changes for another release. Several
> important changes have been made since the last release, and that was
> almost a year ago besides. I believe many gputils users don't check the
> CVS repository and would appreciate a new release.

I for one didn't check ... BTW, the CVS server given on the sourceforge
is incorrect, it should be pserver:gputils.cvs.sourceforge.net.

> I copied you directly this time since I'm not sure if you're checking
> the gnupic list, but I'd recommend subscribing to it

Yes, I'll do that.

Thanks,

	Andreas