gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] Re. Staapl

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] Re. Staapl
From: Tom Schouten ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jul 2008 10:25:40 -0000

Hi Chris,
Thanks for taking interest.

> The whole ideas of pic: minimal dil-devices; seems to
> have morphed to absurdity  - like upgrading a
> wheel-barrow to a locomotive !

Well, true. The target side is still very minimal of course, but the host
side gives up this minimalism in return of higher abstraction.

> Q - before I d/l the 37K *.tar.gz,
>  must I particularly get plt-scheme too ?
> I've got a [presumably standard] scheme already installed
> and tested and convenient.

Staapl is tied to PLT Scheme for various reasons. Most importantly PLT
Scheme's orientation towards writing DSLs (the declarative macro+module
system) and the excellent documentation.

> Q - obviously there's linux executables, or source +
> compilation-scripts available ?
>
> We all want minimal committment initially ?

I realize this. I'm currently writing some tutorials to lower the threshold,
and some top-level scripts that patch together the rather fine grained
library components for the normal 'compile' and 'repl' workflows.

Staapl is now installed on Planet, which makes trivial to install. See this
for more info:

http://zwizwa.be/ramblings/staapl-blog/20080727-115319