plustek: Thread: unresolved symbols

[<<] [<] Page 3 of 3 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Unresolved symbols
From: "Jaeger, Gerhard" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jun 2002 07:14:08 -0000

On Sonntag, 23. Juni 2002 20:50, Karsten Giesow wrote:
> Hi Gerhard,
>
> sorry, but it don't work. :-(

BAD! But it should...

[SNIP]

> nathan:/home/karsten # insmod pt_drv
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o
> nathan:/home/karsten # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> pt_drv                135392   0  (unused)
> snd-pcm-oss            45152   1  (autoclean)
[SNAP]

The driver is loaded! But cannot be accessed by scanimage:

[SNIP]
> [plustek] drvopen()
> [plustek] open: can't open /dev/pt_drv as a device
> [plustek] open failed: -1
[SNAP]

Check your device nodes as I told you in my previous
mails:

ls -l /dev/pt_drv*
should show up something like this:
crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   0 Jul 19  2001 /dev/pt_drv
crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   0 Dec  6  2000 /dev/pt_drv0
crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   1 Dec  6  2000 /dev/pt_drv1
crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   2 Dec  6  2000 /dev/pt_drv2
crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   3 Dec  6  2000 /dev/pt_drv3

If they don't exist, use the make load command, to create the nodes
automatically or do it on your own:
mknod /dev/pt_drv c 40 0 -m 664

[SNIP]
> Still one question
> I've made a copy of the lines during the installation
> Waht does the following line mean:
> ---------------
> nathan:/home/karsten/Plustek-Treiber0.41/plustek_driver # make install
> mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc
> install -c -m "644" pt_drv.o /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc
> /sbin/depmod -a
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o
> nathan:/home/karsten/Plustek-Treiber0.41/plustek_driver #
> ---------------
[SNAP]

I've no idea, where the problem is, you might try depmod -aev to
find out which unresolved symbols there are. But I think this can
be ignored, as the driver will be loaded...

Gerhard
Am Montag, 24. Juni 2002 09:08 schrieb Jaeger, Gerhard:
> On Sonntag, 23. Juni 2002 20:50, Karsten Giesow wrote:
> > Hi Gerhard,
> >
> > sorry, but it don't work. :-(
>
> BAD! But it should...
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > nathan:/home/karsten # insmod pt_drv
> > Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o
> > nathan:/home/karsten # lsmod
> > Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> > pt_drv                135392   0  (unused)
> > snd-pcm-oss            45152   1  (autoclean)
>
> [SNAP]
>
> The driver is loaded! But cannot be accessed by scanimage:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > [plustek] drvopen()
> > [plustek] open: can't open /dev/pt_drv as a device
> > [plustek] open failed: -1
>
> [SNAP]
>
> Check your device nodes as I told you in my previous
> mails:
>
> ls -l /dev/pt_drv*
----------------------
karsten@nathan:~>  ls -l /dev/pt_drv*
crw-rw-r--    1 root     root      40,   0 Jun 24 20:53 /dev/pt_drv
karsten@nathan:~>

----------------------
> should show up something like this:
> crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   0 Jul 19  2001 /dev/pt_drv
> crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   0 Dec  6  2000 /dev/pt_drv0
> crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   1 Dec  6  2000 /dev/pt_drv1
> crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   2 Dec  6  2000 /dev/pt_drv2
> crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      40,   3 Dec  6  2000 /dev/pt_drv3
>
> If they don't exist, use the make load command, to create the nodes
> automatically or do it on your own:
> mknod /dev/pt_drv c 40 0 -m 664

There is still one question.
During the installation I made at least "make load", normally the driver and
device must automatically load, but it was not on this way.
Now I made it with the command
"mknod /dev/pt_drv c 40 0 -m 664"
and now it's looking as if the driver, modul and device is load if I start
"XSane"
Can you explain me why it is now going on, also if I shut down the pc and
later after the boot I start XSane it is working, without a new command?
Perhaps you will say that's a silly question, but I can't find any explanation
for this.

> [SNIP]
>
> > Still one question
> > I've made a copy of the lines during the installation
> > Waht does the following line mean:
> > ---------------
> > nathan:/home/karsten/Plustek-Treiber0.41/plustek_driver # make install
> > mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc
> > install -c -m "644" pt_drv.o /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc
> > /sbin/depmod -a
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o
> > nathan:/home/karsten/Plustek-Treiber0.41/plustek_driver #
> > ---------------
>
> [SNAP]
>
> I've no idea, where the problem is, you might try depmod -aev to
> find out which unresolved symbols there are. But I think this can
> be ignored, as the driver will be loaded...

I have checked it, look the output
--------------
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o
depmod:         get_fast_time
/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o
nathan:/home/karsten #
What does it mean?