plustek: Thread: insmod problem

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: insmod problem
From: Thomas Mandl ####@####.####
Date: 22 Dec 2001 21:32:18 -0000

Hi Gerhard,

installing the plustek-driver (new computer, Suse Linux 7.2., Kernel
2.4-4, OpticPro 9630P) as recommended I got in the beginning no
problems. Building and installing pt_drv it was fine, but loading the
module causes problems:

sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
/lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o: init_module: Success
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod pt_drv failed

I checked the parport-adress and the interupt. All is quite correct in
/etc/modules.conf.

So I tried to recompile the kernel with the IEEE 1284 autodetection
disabled -  your hint for Roy Wood. But Suse-Linux seems to be a little
more complicate than Red Hat. I failed to recompile the kernel, and I
don't want to try it again. It won't be fit for the list discussing the
specifications for the SuSE-Kernel either.

My question: is there anything left to do but recompiling the Kernel?
What could be wrong?

Greetinx
Tom (Tegernsee, you remember? ;-))
On Saturday, 22. December 2001 22:33, Thomas Mandl wrote:
> Hi Gerhard,
>
> installing the plustek-driver (new computer, Suse Linux 7.2., Kernel
> 2.4-4, OpticPro 9630P) as recommended I got in the beginning no
> problems. Building and installing pt_drv it was fine, but loading the
> module causes problems:
>
> sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
> /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o: init_module: Success
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod pt_drv failed
>
> I checked the parport-adress and the interupt. All is quite correct in
> /etc/modules.conf.
>
> So I tried to recompile the kernel with the IEEE 1284 autodetection
> disabled -  your hint for Roy Wood. But Suse-Linux seems to be a little
> more complicate than Red Hat. I failed to recompile the kernel, and I
> don't want to try it again. It won't be fit for the list discussing the
> specifications for the SuSE-Kernel either.
>
> My question: is there anything left to do but recompiling the Kernel?
> What could be wrong?
>
> Greetinx
> Tom (Tegernsee, you remember? ;-))

Sure - I do ;-)
Why should it be more complicated on SuSE than on RedHat!
Throw the SuSE Kernel away and use your own sources...
In general SuSE uses the original source and applies some patches,
that's all, but they normally won't change the make menuconfig step...

What can be done. If your new computer is a VIA-chipset based
ATHLON machine, I think you have to recompile the kernel that way,
that at least the Super I/O chipset init (in the parport configurarion)
is enabled. You might also try and set the chipset (in BIOS) to use
the SPP mode...
I had some problems here on my Epox mobo wiht certain kernel versions...
But the version 2.4.7 and currently 2.4.14 seems to run fine (according
to the parport stuff) BUT you have to recompile you own kernel...

Merry X-mas and good luck
  Gerhard