plustek: Thread: Re: USB-scanner... (EPSON 1250)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Fwd: Re: USB-scanner... (EPSON 1250)
From: "Jaeger, Gerhard" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Dec 2001 21:31:15 -0000

Hi list,

Gene Heskett asked me to forward his message,
it may concern all of you who are interested in helping to
make the EPSON 1250 work....

Gerhard

Subject: Re: USB-scanner...
Date: 16 Dec 2001 21:32:44 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" ####@####.####
To: "Jaeger, Gerhard" ####@####.####

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Jaeger, Gerhard;

Can you fwd the rest of this message to the list?  I don't seem to have
it in my address book as yet.

I've had several people who are apparently on the mailing list, or saw
my name in the FAQ, attempt to email me, with predictable results, my
spam filter killed it while it was still sitting in my mailbox at my ISP
because the source address or text of the first 50 lines contained a
trigger phrase or word.  I've cleared you, and Karl Kremer thru that
filter, but I'd have trouble adding very many more as the filter
apparently has about a 14k limit to its accept/reject list, and more are
then stuffed into a what-do-I-do-with-this file.  Its just about at the
14k size right now.

I'd rather have this stuff on the list anyway because the more eyes
looking at it, the better off we'll be.  I've attempted to register with
epson as a developer, hoping I can obtain a wee bit of info from them,
but as of this moment, the password promised on their signup page hasn't
materialized in my mailbox, and the filter will pass that, has for
years.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, 70MB ram, 31 gigs

                               | Linux @ 500mhz, 320MB ram, 50 gigs

 	     email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
#Amiga based X10 home automation program EZHome, see at:#
               <http://www.iolinc.net/gene_heskett>
This messages reply content, but not any previously quoted material,
is © 2001 by Gene Heskett, all rights reserved.

On Monday 17 December 2001 04:26 pm, Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>Gene Heskett asked me to forward his message,
>it may concern all of you who are interested in helping to
>make the EPSON 1250 work....
>
>Gerhard

I'd like to see if I can clarify whats going on with mine IF I can.
And advise others so we don't wind up with duplicately named Cap and HW
files for this scanner.

So in the existing plustek-devs.c file, the line near the bottom the
serves as the translation between the vendor/product numbers and the
Cap and HW defines has had the _2 on the end of each reference changed
to a _5.  This is at least in the -12 version, the last *active* line
before the dummy, do not remove line.

Second, I came across a remark in one of the pdf's that Gerhard was
kind enough to forward that I took to indicate that in order for the
mode 1 lamp to work, the order of the register initialization had to be
swapped around from that used for the earlier 'fLM9831' chipset.

I spent a fair amount of time last night trying to re-find that
statement, but did not as last night got late, I had to clean up after
the fireworks of a mouse trying to hop from one busbar to another in
the transmitter last night.  That made a nice bit of fireworks since
there was about 7300 volts between the busbars, with about 20 amps
available before the substation fuses blew.  2 hours for the power
folks to get there and give me lights again, and about an hour to find
enough spare 200 watt resistors and such to get me back on the air.
There's more, including some nice video of fried mouse but you're bored
by now anyway...

I've also emailed nat-semi asking for an updated application note as
what I've got only covers up to the LM9831, and this is an LM9832 based
scanner.  And I tried to register with epson as a developer.  The web
page said I'd get a password mailed in just a couple of minutes, but
thats been 36 hours now.  A very warped sense of time at epson I think.

I can do a preview scan from xsane, and everything seems to work except
the lamp never attempts to come on, this with my Cap and HW files being
nothing more than a well commented copy of the _2 defines mentioned
above.  Not having a lamp, of course nothing else matters and I get a
100% black preview.  Any attempts to do a real scan either get me an
out of memory message instantly, and I have 327 megs of ram, or it will
make one attempt to access the scanner and hang the process AND my usb
mouse,  I can kill the process, but it takes a reboot to get the mouse
back among the living.  That tends to get a bit old after 2 or 3 passes
per evening, so progress is understandably slower than I'd like.

One thing I haven't done is take it to a windows box, install the epson
drivers, and see if the lamp even works, so I may bring it all to work
in another day or so since there aren't any 'Gates made' windows in my
house. :)

Cheers from the salt mine, Gene