plustek: Thread: can't get scanner working

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: can't get scanner working
From: David McGlone ####@####.####
Date: 24 Dec 2001 01:55:48 -0000

Hello everyone,

I have a plustek 9636P parallel scanner, and running RH 7.2. I have removed
all sane from my system and downloaded the sane-backends 1.0.6, sane
frontends 1.0.6 and the newest xsane. I have also downloaded the
plustek-module.

I have installed sane over a darn million times and I can't seem to get my
scanner working.

here's what I did as per the instructions.
I installed sane-backends 1.0.6 then I moved the plustek-module to the
backend/plustek_driver and unpackaged it and did "make all" then as root
"make install"

ok at this point everything should be set to go, the instructions say to
"make load",  and  the light comes on.

now I install the sane-frontends 1.0.6 and the latest xsane.

now scanner seems to be working, except xsane does not find it!
so I resort to "sane-find-scanner" and still nothing. so I try scanimage -L
and still nothing.

can I please get some help here, I have installed and uninstalled and
manually removed sane from all dirrectories and installed even more on both
SuSE 7.1 and RH 7.2 with SuSE running the newest 2.4.16 kernel and RH running
the 2.4.7-10 kernel.

overall problem, I can get the scanner light on, but nothing else.

Note: If problem is distro specific, I prefer suggestions for the RH machine.

I have remove all sane from my system again and will install it again if I
can get some help.

if anyone would like to contact me thru aim my screen name is below

Thanks
David M.
AIM: dmcglone27
On Sunday 23 December 2001 08:54 pm, David McGlone wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I have a plustek 9636P parallel scanner, and running RH 7.2. I
> have removed all sane from my system and downloaded the
> sane-backends 1.0.6, sane frontends 1.0.6 and the newest xsane.
> I have also downloaded the plustek-module.
>
>I have installed sane over a darn million times and I can't seem
> to get my scanner working.
>
>here's what I did as per the instructions.
>I installed sane-backends 1.0.6 then I moved the plustek-module
> to the backend/plustek_driver and unpackaged it and did "make
> all" then as root "make install"

You haven't specified what version of the plustek package.

I assume you have the *_13 package, in which case theres a fairly
extensive amount of help in the plustek_drivers/FAQ.  Failing
that, I'd assume its time to turn up the debugging and see where
its dying.  And then polish up your C skills and fix it,
reposting the fixes someplace.

I don't have the particular one, I'm working at a snails pace on
the epson 1250u myself, but ATM I'm getting the dreaded -1 error
out of a read operation about 3 megs into a scan that otherwise
looks like it would adjust to something usable.

>ok at this point everything should be set to go, the
> instructions say to "make load",  and  the light comes on.

Is it supposed to at that point?  All you did was load the
driver.  IMO it should not turn on the light until sane tells it
to.  But then I'm just a big dummy at coding in my later years.

>now I install the sane-frontends 1.0.6 and the latest xsane.
>
>now scanner seems to be working, except xsane does not find it!
>so I resort to "sane-find-scanner" and still nothing. so I try
> scanimage -L and still nothing.

Did you set the correct device in plustek.desc?

>can I please get some help here, I have installed and
> uninstalled and manually removed sane from all dirrectories and
> installed even more on both SuSE 7.1 and RH 7.2 with SuSE
> running the newest 2.4.16 kernel and RH running the 2.4.7-10
> kernel.
>
>overall problem, I can get the scanner light on, but nothing
> else.
>
>Note: If problem is distro specific, I prefer suggestions for
> the RH machine.
>
>I have remove all sane from my system again and will install it
> again if I can get some help.
>
>if anyone would like to contact me thru aim my screen name is
> below
>
>Thanks
>David M.
>AIM: dmcglone27